The Mississippi Emergency Management Agency is asking everyone in the areas impacted by this winter weather to use extreme caution. MEMA recommends the following safety tips:
- Stay home and do not drive on snowy or icy roads.
- Have a fully-stocked emergency supply kit.
- Stay clear of downed power lines. Even if the electricity appears to have been turned off, leave the lines alone. Do not try to move them yourself.
- Only operate generators outdoors. Do not operate a generator inside your home or garage.
- Turn off all home appliances to prevent a surge once the power is turned on again.
- Be cautious when using alternative heat sources.
- Do not use a stove for heat because it can cause carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Letting water drip from a faucet during extremely cold weather can relieve water pressure and help prevent pipes of your home from bursting.
- If you suspect your pipes are frozen and may have burst, turn off your water at the main shut-off valve and call a plumber.
Stay Up to Date With The Latest Alerts and Winter Advisories